The National Waste and Recycling Association Women's Council was established in 2003 for member company employees.
The NWRA Women’s Council fosters the professional development of women in the waste industry while striving to increase their business, financial and leadership skills through education, workshops, mentoring, and networking. In addition, the Women’s Council offers scholarships to students in pursuit of a career in the environmental industry.
The Women’s Council is open to any employee of an NWRA member company. Please contact Peggy Macenas at email@example.com.
"As an early 20-something, it's difficult envisioning a career in an industry often lacking female representation at the highest levels of leadership. I joined Women's Council in hopes of connecting with women who have built their careers in waste/recycling and whose personal and professional successes could validate a future for me me in the industry. I'm happy to say I have gained such connections-or role models rather-and then some. Women's Council has introduced me to strong, intelligent, kind and motivated women who graciously welcomed me into their community and are determined to elevate the careers of all females in waste. I highly recommend membership with this unique organization and am honored to be contributing to the network's continual growth and development."
-Tate Moeller, Sales and Marketing Coordinator, Organix Solutions
“I have been employed in the waste industry for 22 years and a member of the NWRA Women's Council since 2010. The Women’s Council has allowed me to expand my professional network and industry knowledge, forge amazing relationships and establish wonderful friendships along the way. The ability to work alongside the members of the Women’s Council to bridge those with industry knowledge with those new to the industry has been extremely rewarding. I am very proud of the Women’s Council and what we have accomplished over the years and look forward to continuing to serve the industry!"
- Tammy Holtzman, Waste Connections
Meet the 2019 Women's Council Scholars.
Scholarship Testimonials, View Here
Thanks to the generosity of donors, the NWRA Women’s Council will be awarding $35,000 in scholarships for 2019-2020 academic year. Since 2007, $190,000 has been awarded to 43 students. Women’s Council Scholarships are offered to NWRA member company employees and their dependents who wish to use their education for a career in the waste and recycling industry. Eligible candidates may be male or female, be a part-time or returning to school student, a trade or community college applicant or a student for a university/college.
"Where Does My Garbage Go?" Free Coloring Book
The “Where Does My Garbage Go?” coloring book was first published in 2003 as an enjoyable and educational tool to teach children about the route that waste and recycling take from the curb.
This free download is produced and provided by the NWRA Women’s Council. It is the perfect addition to an Easter Basket, company tours, Earth Day classroom lesson plans, America Recycles Day initiatives and great for everyday use.
It is our hope that you will enjoy and share this coloring book!
Download the "Where Does My Garbage Go?" Free Coloring Book
The National Waste and Recycling Association (NWRA) Women’s Council released an Internship Toolkit to assist companies within the waste and recycling industry with the development of a program. The two-piece toolkit contains A Guide to Developing an Industry Internship Program for the company and, an Internship Journal for the cohort.
This free toolkit was developed to address industry workplace shortages, promote careers within the industry, and help groom the next generation of industry professionals. The toolkit will assist in attracting and retaining talented individuals new to the waste and recycling industry.
- NWRA Women's Council Announces 2020 Board, View Here.
- Meet the 2019 Women's Council Scholarship Recipients.
- NWRA Women's Council Newsletter: April 2019.
- NWRA Women's Council Announces 2019 Board, View Here.
- 2018 NWRA Women’s Council WasteExpo Highlights, View Here.
- Meet the 2018 Women's Council Scholarship Recipients.
- Our members were very busy during the show. Here are some more pictures including the Reception at Stifel (Thank you Michael Hoffman), the NWRA Women’s Council Reception and Raffle Pull in the NWRA booth, and some education programs featuring Women’s Council Members. NWRA Facebook - Women's Council Expo 2018
- Congratulations to all those who entered the Carts on Display Art Competition. Check out these beauties: NWRA Facebook Women’s Council Carts 2018
- NWRA Women’s Council Receives $100,000 Donation For Academic Scholarship 2018, Read Here.
- NWRA Women’s Council Will Award $30,000 In Scholarships and Host Art Show at WasteExpo, Read Here.
- NWRA Women’s Council Past President, Tammy Holtzman interviewed by Waste Today Magazine. Watch Here.
- NWRA Women's Council 2017 Scholars: Watch Here
- NWRA Women's Council Improving Lives: Watch Here.
(Environmental Solutions Group)
(Sierra Container Group)
Scholarship Chair, Past President
Professional Development Co-Chair
Professional Development Chair