The Women’s Council fosters the professional development of women in the waste industry while striving to increase their business, financial and leadership skills through education, workshops, mentoring, and networking. In addition, the Women’s Council offers scholarships to students in pursuit of a career in the environmental industry.
Please check back for future Women's Council events.
The NWRA Women’s Council established an educational scholarship program in 2007 to assist qualified individuals in their pursuit of an education that will lead to productive careers in the environmental industry. We have awarded over $100,000 in scholarships since that time. All Association member employees and their dependents are eligible to apply.
The Women's Council fosters the professional development of women in the waste and recycling industry while striving to increase their business, financial and leadership skills through education, workshops, mentoring, and networking. Three scholarships in the amount of $5,000 each will be awarded in 2016.
Current members may log into the member access area here.
For more information on the WC, contact:
Networking & Social Opportunities
There are various outlets for members to interact with one another both professionally and personally. These opportunities are best taken advantage of by attending meetings and events, and becoming involved in one or more committees. Below are a few of our networking and social opportunities during the year:
- Two board and membership meetings are held in conjunction with WasteExpo in the spring and the other with the Executive Leadership Conference in the fall.
- The president of the Women’s Council plans a “members-only” educational conference and/or tour.
- Informal mentoring opportunities develop through relationships that are established within the Women’s Council.
- The Women’s Council’s committees are a great way for members to grow professionally as well as to acquaint themselves better with other members. Committees include:
- Education Committee. Develops education sessions offered to the industry at-large. These sessions are offered in various formats including public speakers at industry events and webinars.
- Fundraising Committee. Helps raise money to fund the Council’s programs.
- Marketing Committee. Works to promote the Women’s Council to current and prospective members and to the waste industry in general.
- Membership Committee. Keeps the members connected and involved through communications and organized social events.
- Scholarship Committee. Reviews applications for the annual academic scholarship award.
- Check out photos of some past tours and conferences.
Educational Programs & Resources
One of the primary focuses of the Women’s Council is educational programming. Programs are presented to Council members as well as the general waste industry.
- Webinars on various topics are offered each year, scheduled typically around the lunch hour to encourage participation. These sessions are open to all National Waste & Recycling Association members.
- The Women’s Council sponsors educational programs or speakers at WasteExpo in the spring and the Executive Round Table meeting in the fall.
- Visit the Association calendar of events to learn more about upcoming Women’s Council programming.
Information and resources available exclusively for Women’s Council members are available here. Current resources include a complete member roster as well as the Council’s operating guidelines, budgets, and board books from the past two years.
“The Women’s Council has allowed me to expand my professional network and industry knowledge, forge amazing relationships and establish wonderful friendships along the way. The ability to work alongside the members of the Women’s Council to bridge those with industry knowledge with those new to the industry has been extremely rewarding. I am very proud of the Women’s Council and what we have accomplished over the years and look forward to continuing to serve the industry!"
- Applicants must be either employed by, or be the dependents of persons employed by, members of NWRA.
- Applicants must be United States citizens and have permanent residence in the United States.
- Scholarships will be paid only to United States academic institutions and may be used only for tuition and fees. Recipients must be accepted or enrolled at the time of payment to the institution.
- Applicants may be either male or female.
- Applicants must be seeking a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate degree or equivalent. Applicants seeking an associate or technical degree may also be considered.
- Applicants must have an intention to pursue studies that will promote a career in the environmental industry.
The selection of scholarship recipients will be made by the Scholarship Committee of the Women’s Council taking into consideration the following criteria:
- The Applicant’s indication of interest in pursuing a career in the environmental industry;
- The Applicant’s record of scholastic achievement;
- The Applicant’s record of community service; and
- The Applicant’s recommendations by instructors, employers, or other personal references.
Applicants must submit a complete application by the deadline, including their most recent transcript and a letter of recommendation.
- Fill in the boxes, make radio button selections or use pull down menus as appropriate.
- Items marked with red asterisk are mandatory and application cannot be submitted until they all are complete.
- Users can save partially completed applications and complete them at a later time.
- Follow the instructions to upload a photo, transcript, essay and letter of recommendation. The Scholarship Committee places emphasis on the essay. Applicants who have been out of school for 10 years or more may request a waiver of the transcript requirement if they are unable to obtain a transcript..
For more information about the Women’s Council Scholarship, contact Jessica Mayorga at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Environmental Solutions Group)
Immediate Past President
(Republic Services, Inc.)
(Horwood Marcus & Berk Chartered)
Scholarship Committee Chair
Fundraising Committee Chair
Scholarship Committee Chair
Membership Committee Co-Chair
Membership Committee Co-Chair
Marketing Committee Chair
Chair for the Women’s Council