Slow Down to Get Around
Slow Down to Get Around is NWRA's national safety campaign that reminds motorists to drive more carefully when near waste and recycling collection vehicles. Being struck by motorists is a leading cause of death for waste and recycling collection employees, and with proper awareness, is completely preventable.
Public Service Announcements
The Association aired Slow Down to Get Around public service announcements (PSAs) in close to two dozen television media markets in 2013 and offers Slow Down to Get Around decals available for haulers and local governments to put on their trucks.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has endorsed the campaign and has partnered with the Association to develop flyers. The flyers, which are available electronically, communicate this important safety message to customers, local regulators and others.
The Slow Down to Get Around program was developed by the Association with Rumpke Consolidated, an Association member in the Midwest, and the McNeilus Companies, an Association member that manufactures garbage trucks. The program was created following two tragic accidents resulting in the death of one Rumpke employee and severe injuries to a second. Both accidents were due to careless driving by motorists.
More Info/Other Resources
- A flyer to distribute to the public tells them what to do when they're behind a garbage truck and gives them a website to go to for more information.
- To order a DVD with broadcast-ready versions of a 30-second radio commercial, 30 and 60 second video TV commercial, or copies of the Slow Down to Get Around flyers contact the Association at 800-424-2869 or email SDTGA@wasterecycling.org.
- To purchase Slow Down to Get Around decals for your garbage trucks (available in 6x12”, 12x24” and 24x36” sizes) visit the E-store.
- Slow Down to Get Around YouTube video to share on social media
- Program logo
News about Slow Down to Get Around laws:
- Alabama Move Over Law contents
- Florida Florida Governor Signs Important Legislation to Protect Waste and Recycling Workers
- Georgia New law to encourage Georgia drivers to slow down around waste and recycling trucks
- Indiana Indiana Prepares to Implement Slow Down to Get Around Law Effective July 1
- Michigan New Law to Protect Roadside Workers
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Virginia Move Over Law contents
- West Virginia West Virginia Governor Signs Law Requiring Cautious Driving Near Sanitation Trucks
- Wisconsin Wisconsin Enacts Road Safety Law to Encourage Cautious Driving Near Sanitation Trucks